May 31, 2011

The Lovefest 2011


This is how Rick, Matthew’s dad, has so affectionately referred to our family vacations.  Matthew and I just returned to Atlanta on Saturday from our oh-so-wonderful, went-too-fast vacation in Isle of Palms.  The week was seven days of pure relaxation. 






Matthew and I got a head start on the vacation by leaving on Friday evening.  We had hoped to leave mid-day on Friday, but this annoying little thing called work held Matthew up.  Leaving later Friday, though, let us to miss the weekend traffic and we got to our hotel just outside of Charleston late Friday night.  On the way, we watched No Strings Attached, the movie with Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher, on my iPad.  If you haven’t seen it and you’re not offended by a little crude humor, I’d recommend it, as would Matthew.  As far as romantic comedies go, it’s pretty cute.


The next day, Matthew and I spent the day in Charleston.  I have been to Charleston several times, but I have only driven through the Battery once.  Having read all of Pat Conroy’s books, I feel like a South Carolinian that knows the ‘South of Broad’ in and out.  I figured I could give up a day of shopping, my usual Charleston pastime, for a day of more cultured activity.  It turned out to be what I told Matthew was “my perfect day.”  We walked through the streets of magnificent homes, read plaques about the historical sites and marveled at the enchanting gardens.  We walked along the water and through the parks and spotted artists at work and did some great people-watching, all while holding hands.  We were in no rush to be anywhere and at no risk of having someone ruin our day.  We decided on lunch at the rooftop bar of a restaurant downtown and then headed toward the coast to meet up with our families.





This year was the sixth time that we have done a combined family vacation – my parents and brother and sister and Matthew’s parents.  Now, I know this seems a little strange if you do not know our families.  When I tell people how our moms are friends and our dads are friends and we spend holidays together and vacation together, they seem surprised.  Some are even a little skeptical that marriage can be this easy.  But we are very lucky that everyone gets along and even, dare I say, enjoys each other’s company.  Even so, how do you spend a week with anyone without getting a little annoyed, right?  Other years, I’d say, yes, of course, we drive each other crazy sometimes, but it’s all in the name of love.  This year was different, though.  I think each of us said in the last couple of days that we thought this was the best vacation we could remember.

                       
I have tried to pinpoint what was the difference in this year’s trip that made it so much better.  The only thing that I can come up with is that everyone is old enough (my little sister, Mollie, is 20 this year) to appreciate and enjoy each other as adults.  We did not try to avoid certain topics of conversation for her sake.  On the contrary, we talked about some things that would embarrass even the worst teenage boys.  I could go into detail about these particular discussions, but to save face, I’ll avoid the specifics.  Suffice it to say that we covered everything from our waterboy’s hotness to substance experimentation to sheep’s bodily fluids.  Those of you that know my mom know that she will be mortified that I just mentioned these conversations, but I will also mention what she said at lunch one day.  She said that, first, she can’t believe her sweet children can talk about such things and she just hopes that we have the good sense to avoid such topics in the presence of other people.  Secondly, she said she is glad that we have a good enough relationship to be open about even the most off-color things.  In addition to good conversation, we read for hours, took long walks, listened to good music and enjoyed amazing meals.  We golfed, fished and shopped in groups.  Our dads watched a lot of tv (Swamp People, Big Break and wartime documentaries), and it seemed like Matthew and Ben were always off getting in trouble somewhere….will they ever grow up? J  



                                                                                                              

I’d bet other young couples approaching the five-year mark would agree with me when I say that the question of “getting pregnant” is one frequently asked.  To be fair, our families have always known our anticipated timeline on having kids and understand our desire to wait and live a little first.  One discussion that never fails to come up, though, is what the future little Spiveys will be named.  I used to tell anyone who cared my baby names, but everyone has an opinion and I usually don’t appreciate it.  J  Matthew and I have four names picked out and our lips are SEALED!  Some family members even tried bribery to get the names!  Everyone will just have a wait a few more years!





I feel so fortunate to have such a great family and the opportunity to go on a wonderful vacation.  As the week came to a close, we were already talking about next year’s vacation.  Until then, we’ll work hard, play some and enjoy life!


Until next time, sending love,
The Spiveys

No comments:

Post a Comment